Is there a generic version of nitrous oxide?

Nitrous oxide is the name of the active ingredient of a gas for which there is not a brand name. It contains nitrogen and oxygen and is commonly abbreviated as N2O. It is also known by several other names, including laughing gas, dinitrogen monoxide and dinitrogen oxide.

Nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, is available to dentists and doctors as a generic sedative. It is not sold as a branded prescription for the public; it is a form of sedation that is only available to your dentist or another medical professional. Your dentist will have nitrous oxide as well as the equipment needed to mix it with oxygen and administer it safely to children and adults.   

Continue Learning about Nitrous Oxide

What should I avoid while using nitrous oxide?
You should avoid smoking or lighting matches near any area where nitrous oxide is being used. Wh...
Should my child receive nitrous oxide?
Your child should be able to safely receive nitrous oxide if he can handle the plastic tubes in ...
What should I know about nitrous oxide before taking it?
With nitrous oxide, you will feel sedated but able to respond. In the small dose that is used fo...
What is nitrous oxide?
At room temperature, nitrous oxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas used for general anes...