What should I do if my child has night terrors?

During a night terror, children will still be asleep, but they'll be frantic and screaming. What we instruct parents to do is just go in and check on them to make sure their leg is not caught in the crib, or that they haven't fallen out of bed. But if they are still asleep, then don't wake them up, because that can really startle them -- they won't remember what it was they were screaming about if it's a night terror.

Continue Learning about Night Terrors

What do I need to know about caring for someone with night terrors?
Night terrors may have a genetic cause, so if you had them, your child is at greater risk. If your c...
Should I talk to my doctor about my night terror symptoms?
Night terrors can be scary, but they usually aren't a matter of grave concern. If you hurt yourself ...
Are night terrors serious?
Night terrors are not typically serious. They are more common in children than adults, and they ...
Can night terrors be prevented?
There is no sure way to prevent night terrors. Typically, they occur in childhood and are outgro...