What should I do if my child has night terrors?

During a night terror, children will still be asleep, but they'll be frantic and screaming. What we instruct parents to do is just go in and check on them to make sure their leg is not caught in the crib, or that they haven't fallen out of bed. But if they are still asleep, then don't wake them up, because that can really startle them -- they won't remember what it was they were screaming about if it's a night terror.

Continue Learning about Night Terrors

Do night terrors affect children differently than adults?
Night terrors occur more often in children than in adults. They are most common between the ages...
How do I manage my night terrors on a daily basis?
If you suffer from night terrors, but are not losing too much sleep or hurting yourself or others, j...
Are there alternative treatments for night terrors?
The success of any treatment you use will depend on if you are treating the cause of your night terr...
Are night terrors a sleep disorder?
Night terrors are a sleep disorder where you open your eyes, yell, flail your arms, kick, and/or exp...