How are night terrors treated?

Generally, treatments do not specifically target night terrors. If your episodes are related to another condition, then treating that condition may provide relief. If they are due to stress, you can try ways of calming yourself before bedtime. If your night terrors are causing you to hurt yourself or others, or if you have chronically disturbed sleep, your doctor may prescribe medication for an uninterrupted night's rest. Otherwise, simply try to make your living quarters safe for sleepwalking.

Night terrors is generally a benign condition that is not treated with medication or otherwise. If there is concern for an underlying condition causing the night terrors, such as sleep apnea or poor sleep habits, then it would be useful to treat the underlying condition.

Continue Learning about Night Terrors

Should I talk to my doctor about my night terror symptoms?
Night terrors can be scary, but they usually aren't a matter of grave concern. If you hurt yourself ...
Do night terrors affect children differently than adults?
Night terrors occur more often in children than in adults. They are most common between the ages...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with night terrors?
Night terrors may have a genetic cause, so if you had them, your child is at greater risk. If your c...
How do night terrors affect the body?
Night terrors happen when you are asleep, usually during the early stages of sleep. During a night t...