Do night terrors affect children differently than adults?

Night terrors occur more often in children than in adults. They are most common between the ages of 4-12. Children are less likely than adults to remember anything about the episode in the morning. Often, children outgrow the condition without treatment. Adults may benefit from psychotherapy or drug treatment.

Continue Learning about Night Terrors

What are night terrors?
Night terrors are events or episodes that usually occur in children in the middle of the night. Thes...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with night terrors?
Night terrors may have a genetic cause, so if you had them, your child is at greater risk. If your c...
Are night terrors serious?
Night terrors are not typically serious. They are more common in children than adults, and they ...
How can I prevent my child's night terrors?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Because night terrors generally occur around the same time every night, wake your child up about 1...