Are night terrors serious?

Night terrors are not typically serious. They are more common in children than adults, and they usually diminish over time. However, if your sleep is suffering, or if you are hurting yourself or others during episodes of night terrors, see your doctor. It is possible that a serious underlying condition such as sleep apnea may be affecting you.

Continue Learning about Night Terrors

Is there a cure for night terrors?
There is no one cure for night terrors. Effective treatment will depend on the source of your proble...
How should I talk to my child's school about their night terrors?
Generally, night terrors are not serious for children. However, if your child's sleep is suffering d...
What causes night terrors?
It is not clear exactly what causes night terrors, but several factors seem to lead to them. Und...
Are night terrors a sleep disorder?
Night terrors are a sleep disorder where you open your eyes, yell, flail your arms, kick, and/or exp...