How quickly are neurons created in an unborn baby?

Neurons, which rely on other support cells called glial cells to be built, are created at a pace that's hard for even the finest of minds to comprehend - 500,000 per minute to reach the end result of about 100 billion neurons per baby (the entire planet only has 6 billion people).
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Neurons

Do we have a map showing all of interconnecting neurons for any brain?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The only "brain" in which all of the intereconnecting neurons have been mapped out belongs to a worm...
What role does DHA play in nerve cells?
DHA or docosahexaenoic acid is a major component of nerve cells in the retina and makes up myelin, t...
What does myelin do?
The cover over nerve fibers called myelin ensures that impulses move quickly and correctly from one ...
Can neurons regenerate?
John H. Growdon, MDJohn H. Growdon, MD
For decades, the accepted wisdom was that neurons could not regenerate. Scientists used to belie...