When is it too soon to consider microvascular decompression?

Dr. Geoffrey P. Colby, MD
Neurosurgery
I think it's important first to go through a trial of medication, certainly with Tegretol, possibly with Lyrica or Dilantin, to really see if you can get control. In certain cases, trigeminal neuralgia will be bad for a few months and then taper off, and it may not come back for a year or two.

I recommend being a bit conservative, but if the pain is severe and has lasted for four, five, or six months without much success with medications, then that certainly is not too soon to consider a microvascular decompression operation. On the plus side, if you are younger, you are much more tolerant of anesthesia and surgery. One recovers more quickly. It's not as stressful, and the risks are lower, so I don't recommend waiting years and years if you have typical trigeminal neuralgia. If the medication is not providing adequate relief, the surgery probably will.

Continue Learning about Neuralgia

What is the most common type of neuralgia?
Postherpetic neuralgia is the most common type of neuralgia in the United States. Approximately 1 in...
What is neuralgia?
Neuralgia is the medical term for nerve pain. There are several different types of neuralgia dependi...
How many different types of neuralgia are there?
There are four main types of neuralgia. Most of them are named after the nerve they affect. Trigemin...
Can neuralgia clear up without any treatment?
It is possible for some types of neuralgia to clear up without any treatment but it isn't likely. In...