What is trigeminal neuralgia in multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Neuralgias, or nerve pains, are among the more common of the rare multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms. One of these is trigeminal neuralgia (TN; also called tic douloureux), which causes severe shock-like or burning facial pain lasting a few seconds or up to a few minutes per episode. It is usually felt on one side of the cheek or jaw. Some people who experience TN may get "warning" achiness or numbness and tingling in the face before sudden onset of the episode.

Continue Learning about Neuralgia

How many different types of neuralgia are there?
There are four main types of neuralgia. Most of them are named after the nerve they affect. Trigemin...
How is trigeminal neuralgia treated?
Treatment options for TN include medicines, surgery and complementary approaches. Anticonvulsant me...
What is neuralgia?
Neuralgia is the medical term for nerve pain. There are several different types of neuralgia dependi...
How do I care for someone with neuralgia?
There isn't always much you can do to care for someone with neuralgia. Your main responsibility will...