What is a rhizotomy?

Rhizotomy is the medical term for partial cutting of the trigeminal nerve, and what I typically do in this circumstance, which is required in about one out of 10 operations, is to identify the part of the nerve that goes to the lower jawline, the mandibular or third division, and I cut three or four of the nerve fibers in that area.

The trigeminal nerve is made out of 12 to 15 nerve fibers or nerve bundles, so we cut three or four of those in the mandibular region, and people will often have a small area of numbness. But they're trading the severe pain of trigeminal neuralgia for a small areas of persistent numbness, and very often that is far preferable.

Continue Learning about Neuralgia

How is trigeminal neuralgia treated?
Treatment options for TN include medicines, surgery and complementary approaches. Anticonvulsant me...
What is the most common type of neuralgia?
Postherpetic neuralgia is the most common type of neuralgia in the United States. Approximately 1 in...
How many different types of neuralgia are there?
There are four main types of neuralgia. Most of them are named after the nerve they affect. Trigemin...
What is neuralgia?
Neuralgia is the medical term for nerve pain. There are several different types of neuralgia dependi...