What increases my risk for trigeminal neuralgia?

Age and sex are the biggest risk factors when it comes to trigeminal neuralgia. Your chances of developing the condition are much higher if you are a woman or if you are over the age of 50. You are also at a higher risk of developing trigeminal neuralgia if you have multiple sclerosis or another type of disorder that causes damage to the trigeminal nerve. Some studies have also provided evidence to support the claim that trigeminal neuralgia runs in families.

Continue Learning about Neuralgia

Is neuralgia life-threatening?
Neuralgia itself is not a life-threatening condition. However, it is sometimes the result of a tumor...
How many different types of neuralgia are there?
There are four main types of neuralgia. Most of them are named after the nerve they affect. Trigemin...
How is trigeminal neuralgia treated?
Treatment options for TN include medicines, surgery and complementary approaches. Anticonvulsant me...
Is there a cure for neuralgia?
If the cause of your neuralgia can be determined you may be able to fix it with surgery. For posther...