What increases my risk for neuralgia?

Getting older is the biggest risk factor in developing neuralgia. The condition is more common in those over the age of 50. Depending on the type of neuralgia, your sex may be a risk factor as well. Women are more likely to develop trigeminal neuralgia and men are more likely to develop glossopharyngeal neuralgia. Since postherpetic neuralgia only affects people who have had shingles, those who have experienced an outbreak are at higher risk for developing the condition. However, it only affects one out of every ten people who have had shingles--although the risk increases with age. An injury or any condition that causes nerve damage can also increase your risk for neuralgia.

Continue Learning about Neuralgia

How do I care for someone with neuralgia?
There isn't always much you can do to care for someone with neuralgia. Your main responsibility will...
Is neuralgia life-threatening?
Neuralgia itself is not a life-threatening condition. However, it is sometimes the result of a tumor...
How does neuralgia affect the body?
The cause of neuralgia can't always be determined but it is often the result of a malfunctioning ner...
What type of doctor treats pudendal neuralgia?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
Pudendal neuralgia is a difficult condition to treat and so patients often require a comprehensive, ...