What is the most effective medication for trigeminal neuralgia?

Many cases of trigeminal neuralgia can be treated successfully with medication, and the most effective medication, in our experience, is carbamazepine, often called Tegretol. Tegretol really is quite effective for trigeminal neuralgia. If a person with acute, episodic, stabbing facial pain responds well to Tegretol, then usually that supports the diagnosis of trigeminal neuralgia.

Continue Learning about Neuralgia

How do I care for someone with neuralgia?
There isn't always much you can do to care for someone with neuralgia. Your main responsibility will...
How is trigeminal neuralgia treated?
Treatment options for TN include medicines, surgery and complementary approaches. Anticonvulsant me...
Can neuralgia clear up without any treatment?
It is possible for some types of neuralgia to clear up without any treatment but it isn't likely. In...
How many different types of neuralgia are there?
There are four main types of neuralgia. Most of them are named after the nerve they affect. Trigemin...