What are the symptoms of neuralgia?

Pain occurring in or around a specific nerve is the main symptom of neuralgia. The pain is usually severe and is often described as stabbing or electric. In most cases it comes and goes, occurring either spontaneously or triggered by a simple act, like eating, sneezing or touching your face. Pain in the face, especially occurring only on one side, is symptomatic of trigeminal neuralgia. Pain in your throat, tonsils, tongue or ear is characteristic of glossopharyngeal neuralgia. Pain in the back of your head and scalp indicates occipital neuralgia and if the pain only occurs in areas where you have previously experienced a shingles outbreak, then you may have postherpetic neuralgia.

Continue Learning about Neuralgia

Can neuralgia clear up without any treatment?
It is possible for some types of neuralgia to clear up without any treatment but it isn't likely. In...
How do I care for someone with neuralgia?
There isn't always much you can do to care for someone with neuralgia. Your main responsibility will...
How is trigeminal neuralgia treated?
Treatment options for TN include medicines, surgery and complementary approaches. Anticonvulsant me...
Is there a cure for neuralgia?
If the cause of your neuralgia can be determined you may be able to fix it with surgery. For posther...