What is the most common type of neuralgia?

Postherpetic neuralgia is the most common type of neuralgia in the United States. Approximately 1 in 250 Americans gets shingles each year, and 10% of these people will get postherpetic neuralgia from that. While the condition can affect anyone, it most frequently affects people over 50. Trigeminal neuralgia is the second most common form of neuralgia, affecting about 1 in 20,000 people annually.

Continue Learning about Neuralgia

Is there a cure for neuralgia?
If the cause of your neuralgia can be determined you may be able to fix it with surgery. For posther...
How many different types of neuralgia are there?
There are four main types of neuralgia. Most of them are named after the nerve they affect. Trigemin...
How is trigeminal neuralgia treated?
Treatment options for TN include medicines, surgery and complementary approaches. Anticonvulsant me...
How do I care for someone with neuralgia?
There isn't always much you can do to care for someone with neuralgia. Your main responsibility will...