Is medical marijuana an effective treatment for trigeminal neuralgia pain?

Marijuana works in a variety of medical disorders: nausea, pain, and chronic pain. The core treatments for trigeminal neuralgia include Tegretol, Dilantin, Lyrica, and Neurontin in some cases. In general, our experience relates to trying these sequentially or in combination, and the majority of people get some degree of relief with this. It would not surprise me that in some patients who have incomplete relief with these standard medications that medical marijuana might provide some supplemental relief. We don’t really know if it has any additional benefit in some of the difficult-to-treat situations like anesthesia dolorosa (painful numbness), or possibly in multiple sclerosis causing trigeminal neuralgia.

Continue Learning about Neuralgia

Is neuralgia life-threatening?
Neuralgia itself is not a life-threatening condition. However, it is sometimes the result of a tumor...
How do I care for someone with neuralgia?
There isn't always much you can do to care for someone with neuralgia. Your main responsibility will...
How is trigeminal neuralgia treated?
Treatment options for TN include medicines, surgery and complementary approaches. Anticonvulsant me...
What is neuralgia?
Neuralgia is the medical term for nerve pain. There are several different types of neuralgia dependi...