How do I choose the right treatment for trigeminal neuralgia?

For young healthy patients who have severe trigeminal neuralgia, there really is no better option than microvascular decompression (MVD) as long as they’re wiling to undergo surgery and the two-or three-day hospitalization associated with that surgery and recovery. The recovery process often takes four weeks, give or take. The radiation therapy is a good option for elderly patients or patients with significant medical problems for whom open surgery is too risky or for whom anesthesia may be too risky.

Continue Learning about Neuralgia

How does neuralgia affect the body?
The cause of neuralgia can't always be determined but it is often the result of a malfunctioning ner...
How do I care for someone with neuralgia?
There isn't always much you can do to care for someone with neuralgia. Your main responsibility will...
Can neuralgia clear up without any treatment?
It is possible for some types of neuralgia to clear up without any treatment but it isn't likely. In...
What is the most common type of neuralgia?
Postherpetic neuralgia is the most common type of neuralgia in the United States. Approximately 1 in...