Can I go to the dentist without getting a trigeminal neuralgia attack?

Dental treatment can certainly precipitate or trigger trigeminal neuralgia. My suggestion would be to maximize the local anesthesia (the injection of the numbing medicine) given during the dental procedure. One might also want to temporarily increase the dose of medication used for the trigeminal neuralgia. That's something you should discuss with your neurologist or your primary care doctor.

Continue Learning about Neuralgia

What is neuralgia?
Neuralgia is the medical term for nerve pain. There are several different types of neuralgia dependi...
Can neuralgia clear up without any treatment?
It is possible for some types of neuralgia to clear up without any treatment but it isn't likely. In...
How is trigeminal neuralgia treated?
Treatment options for TN include medicines, surgery and complementary approaches. Anticonvulsant me...
What is the most common type of neuralgia?
Postherpetic neuralgia is the most common type of neuralgia in the United States. Approximately 1 in...