Can I go to the dentist without getting a trigeminal neuralgia attack?

Dental treatment can certainly precipitate or trigger trigeminal neuralgia. My suggestion would be to maximize the local anesthesia (the injection of the numbing medicine) given during the dental procedure. One might also want to temporarily increase the dose of medication used for the trigeminal neuralgia. That's something you should discuss with your neurologist or your primary care doctor.

Continue Learning about Neuralgia

Can neuralgia clear up without any treatment?
It is possible for some types of neuralgia to clear up without any treatment but it isn't likely. In...
Is there a cure for neuralgia?
If the cause of your neuralgia can be determined you may be able to fix it with surgery. For posther...
How many different types of neuralgia are there?
There are four main types of neuralgia. Most of them are named after the nerve they affect. Trigemin...
How does neuralgia affect the body?
The cause of neuralgia can't always be determined but it is often the result of a malfunctioning ner...