Why do we laugh when tickled?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
Believe it or not, no one is completely sure why we laugh when tickled. However, the best explanation I have found comes from author Paul Lines. He explains that when we are tickled there is surprise and tension. Laughter comes as a release and relief as we realize that we are being tickled and not attacked. This is probably an evolutionary reaction that protects the parts of our bodies, which are the most vulnerable to attack and tickling.

It's an involuntary response to an attack. The spots on the body that tend to be most ticklish are the same ones most vulnerable to injury, so when we're tickled, we tuck in to defend ourselves, squirm to escape and laugh. Neuroscientists and evolutionary biologists say our laughter shows our submission.

Continue Learning about Parts of the Nervous System

Why am I so ticklish?
Ticklishness is caused by a dense collection of nerves packed in together. In this video, Dr. Oz...
What happens in the body when we're tickled?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Lightly stimulating tiny nerve endings beneath the skin sends a message through the nervous system t...
What is the cerebral hemisphere?
The cerebral hemisphere is one half of the cerebrum, the part of the brain that controls muscle func...
Why are some parts of the body ticklish and others are not?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
It depends partly on the nerve endings in those areas. The body's ticklish areas tend to be those mo...