Why does it tingle when I hit my funny bone or the inside of my elbow?

When nerves are damaged or irritated, they cause a tingling sensation along the distribution of the nerve, or the path that the nerve follows. Since the funny bone (or ulnar nerve), is very superficial at the elbow, it's very common to irritate it.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Gustavus Adolphus College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Nerves

What causes numbness in my fingers?
There are motor-type nerves that connect your brain to your muscles and send a signal from the brain...
What is the facial nerve?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The facial nerve is the seventh (VII) of 12 nerves that presents from the brainstem that controls fa...
What are homeostatic afferent nerves?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Homeostatic afferent nerves are the tiny nerves of the peripheral somatic nervous system that supply...
What causes cranial nerve compression?
Regional Medical Center Bayonet PointRegional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Cranial nerves become compressed when a blood vessel puts pressure on it, resulting in severe pain i...