Why does it tingle when I hit my funny bone or the inside of my elbow?

When nerves are damaged or irritated, they cause a tingling sensation along the distribution of the nerve, or the path that the nerve follows. Since the funny bone (or ulnar nerve), is very superficial at the elbow, it's very common to irritate it.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Gustavus Adolphus College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Nerves

What is the vagus nerve?
The vagus is a long, wandering nerve that spends most of its time updating your brain on the goi...
What are nerves?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Nerves are special cells that carry lightning-fast electrical messages throughout the body. The spin...
What causes numbness in my hands?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
The numbness in your hands could have several causes. Certain medical problems such as diabetes can ...
What are peripheral nerves?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Peripheral nerves extend in a vast and intricate web beyond the spinal cord and nerve roots to t...