Why does it tingle when I hit my funny bone or the inside of my elbow?

When nerves are damaged or irritated, they cause a tingling sensation along the distribution of the nerve, or the path that the nerve follows. Since the funny bone (or ulnar nerve), is very superficial at the elbow, it's very common to irritate it.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Gustavus Adolphus College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Nerves

What are homeostatic afferent nerves?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Homeostatic afferent nerves are the tiny nerves of the peripheral somatic nervous system that supply...
How is back pain associated with nerve damage treated?
Daniel R. Spogen, MDDaniel R. Spogen, MD
When back pain is associated with nerve damage the pain can be treated temporarily by an epidural in...
What are peripheral nerves?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Peripheral nerves extend in a vast and intricate web beyond the spinal cord and nerve roots to t...
What are the symptoms of peripheral nerve damage?
Regional Medical Center Bayonet PointRegional Medical Center Bayonet Point
The symptoms of peripheral nerve damage include numbness, tingling, weakness or pain in the hands, w...