What is the vagus nerve?

The vagus is a long, wandering nerve that spends most of its time updating your brain on the goings-on of your body—in particular, your gut, where battles with bugs are continually raging. It's a pretty stressful round-the-clock job, and the vagus has a tendency to overreact when things get hectic. A stressed-out vagus signals your immune system to attack just about everything it can find. And all that unnecessary fighting is not good for your health.

Continue Learning about Nerves

What is the median nerve?
The median nerve runs down the front of your lower arm (forearm) to your wrist. It helps control fee...
What is the prognosis for a pinched nerve?
With treatment, most people recover from a pinched nerve. However, in some cases, damage is irrevers...
Can electrical equipment interfere with my VNS pulse generator?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Airport security systems, microwave ovens and cellular phones typically do not interfere with th...
Why does it tingle when I hit my funny bone or the inside of my elbow?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
When nerves are damaged or irritated, they cause a tingling sensation along the distribution of ...