What is the median nerve?

The median nerve runs down the front of your lower arm (forearm) to your wrist. It helps control feeling and movement in your forearm, wrist and hand. If it becomes compressed (pinched) as it passes through a part of your wrist called the carpal tunnel, it causes a condition called carpal tunnel syndrome. This can lead to pain and weak muscles in your arm, wrist and hand. Carpal tunnel syndrome is often due to a repetitive use injury that causes swelling and narrowing in the carpal tunnel (for example, frequent use of a computer mouse or keyboard). Some health conditions, such as pregnancy, diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis can also raise your risk.

Continue Learning about Nerves

Is it possible to regulate the function of the vagus nerve?
We know from experiments with rats that the vagus nerve plays a role in overall immunity. When they'...
What are peripheral nerves?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Peripheral nerves extend in a vast and intricate web beyond the spinal cord and nerve roots to t...
Why does it tingle when I hit my funny bone or the inside of my elbow?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
When nerves are damaged or irritated, they cause a tingling sensation along the distribution of ...
How is back pain associated with nerve damage treated?
Daniel R. Spogen, MDDaniel R. Spogen, MD
When back pain is associated with nerve damage the pain can be treated temporarily by an epidural in...