What is the median nerve?

The median nerve runs down the front of your lower arm (forearm) to your wrist. It helps control feeling and movement in your forearm, wrist and hand. If it becomes compressed (pinched) as it passes through a part of your wrist called the carpal tunnel, it causes a condition called carpal tunnel syndrome. This can lead to pain and weak muscles in your arm, wrist and hand. Carpal tunnel syndrome is often due to a repetitive use injury that causes swelling and narrowing in the carpal tunnel (for example, frequent use of a computer mouse or keyboard). Some health conditions, such as pregnancy, diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis can also raise your risk.

Continue Learning about Nerves

What is the seventh cranial nerve?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Also called the facial nerve, this nerve controls most facial muscles. It splits into five primary b...
What causes numbness in my fingers?
There are motor-type nerves that connect your brain to your muscles and send a signal from the brain...
Why does it tingle when I hit my funny bone or the inside of my elbow?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
When nerves are damaged or irritated, they cause a tingling sensation along the distribution of ...
What are nerves?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Nerves are special cells that carry lightning-fast electrical messages throughout the body. The spin...