What are homeostatic afferent nerves?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology

Homeostatic afferent nerves are the tiny nerves of the peripheral somatic nervous system that supply all of the tissues of the body and send information from them to the spinal cord and ultimately to the mind/brain. Every tissue of the body is supplied with homeostatic afferent nerves: the skin, muscles, bones, joints, teeth, and all of the internal (visceral) organs, such as the heart, digestive tract, and liver. These nerves end (terminate) in the spinal cord. The spinal cord then relays what we call the body words spoken by the body to the mind/brain.

Still Hurting? FIND HEALTH! Discover What's Behind Your SYMPTOMS (That Doctors Can't Explain)

Still Hurting? FIND HEALTH! presents a new model of disease, which empowers readers suffering with pain, symptoms (e.g., fatigue), and symptom syndromes (e.g., irritable bowel, fibromyalgia, chronic...

Continue Learning about Nerves

What is the vagus nerve?
The vagus is a long, wandering nerve that spends most of its time updating your brain on the goi...
What are peripheral nerves?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Peripheral nerves extend in a vast and intricate web beyond the spinal cord and nerve roots to t...
Why does it tingle when I hit my funny bone or the inside of my elbow?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
When nerves are damaged or irritated, they cause a tingling sensation along the distribution of ...
What is a pinched nerve?
The term "pinched nerve" describes one type of damage or injury to a nerve or a set of nerves. The i...