What are peripheral nerves?

Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine
Peripheral nerves extend in a vast and intricate web beyond the spinal cord and nerve roots to the rest of your body. Peripheral nerves are found in every muscle, joint, tissue, and organ. These nerves are responsible for monitoring and adjusting the function of all other tissues, including those that surround your spine. Inside each joint and every muscle, there are thousands of highly specialized nerve endings that control everything from blood flow to positioning and movement. When there is a problem within any joint or muscle, it is the job of the peripheral nerves to act as the primary transmission mechanism of pain. Peripheral nerves are therefore closely associated with the sensation of pain, but they are seldom the cause of the pain. Think of peripheral nerves as messengers that alert you to existing problems.
Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

Continue Learning about Nerves

Why does it tingle when I hit my funny bone or the inside of my elbow?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
When nerves are damaged or irritated, they cause a tingling sensation along the distribution of ...
What are nerve conduction studies?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
If the doctor thinks you might have nerve damage, you may have nerve conduction tests that look ...
What causes cranial nerve compression?
Regional Medical Center Bayonet PointRegional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Cranial nerves become compressed when a blood vessel puts pressure on it, resulting in severe pain i...
What is dopamine?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
The brain produces a neurotransmitter called dopamine. Dopamine affects your brain processes tha...