What sleeping positions should I avoid if I have neck and back pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Sleeping on the stomach is a bad position for the neck because it is forced into severe rotation for prolonged periods of time. So, if you sleep on your stomach, stop! This is probably the worst position for your neck and back.

Sleeping on your back can also be bad -- especially with a thick pillow under your head. The pillow essentially holds the head in a forward position and allows the muscles attaching from the neck to the base of the skull to remain short. This reinforces the forward-head position when you are standing and creates a vicious cycle wherein the head is not permitted to return to an ideal position.
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

How to Undo Neck Pain
How to Undo Neck Pain
In this age of computer keyboards and late-night Web surfing, you may be no stranger to neck pain. So here's what you do if you want it to get better:...
How is neck pain treated?
Treatment of neck pain depends entirely on the cause of the pain. This could range from simple muscl...
What can I do if sitting all day at work makes my neck hurt?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
Finding the neutral S-curve of your spine is tough when sitting. In a chair, most people hunch their...
How to End Neck Pain
How to End Neck Pain