What sleeping positions should I avoid if I have neck and back pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Sleeping on the stomach is a bad position for the neck because it is forced into severe rotation for prolonged periods of time. So, if you sleep on your stomach, stop! This is probably the worst position for your neck and back.

Sleeping on your back can also be bad -- especially with a thick pillow under your head. The pillow essentially holds the head in a forward position and allows the muscles attaching from the neck to the base of the skull to remain short. This reinforces the forward-head position when you are standing and creates a vicious cycle wherein the head is not permitted to return to an ideal position.
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
Pain in the neck is, well, a pain in the neck. And some two-thirds of us will suffer from it at some point, says orthopedic spine surgeon Samuel Cho, ...
What causes whiplash?
Whiplash is caused by straining or overstretching the muscles or ligaments in the neck. There are ma...
Why do my neck and/or shoulders hurt after eating?
Dr. Allen B. BonillaDr. Allen B. Bonilla
For any complaint of this nature it is important to have a thorough exam by a trained professional. ...
How Can I Help Prevent Neck Pain?
How Can I Help Prevent Neck Pain?