What can I do if sitting all day at work makes my neck hurt?

Sadie Lincoln
Sadie Lincoln on behalf of barre3
Fitness Specialist

Finding the neutral S-curve of your spine is tough when sitting. In a chair, most people hunch their back, sink their chests, let their belly sag forward, and tuck the pelvis like a puppy tucking his tail. This puts the structures of the neck, both muscle and bone, into an unnatural position to see forward (at a computer or out the windshield), and it hurts! Upper back bends and chest openers are great counter stretches for chronic sitting. Anything that strengthens the core will also help the alignment of your whole spine. I tell clients who can’t work in a standing position, to make an effort to stand up periodically throughout the day, and stretch. We have a standing desk at barre3 headquarters in Portland, Oregon, and we love it!

Sitting at your desk all day at work can cause your neck to hurt if you use poor posture. Be sure not to slump and position your computer mouse so your elbows are at your side and bent 90 degrees. Stretching and arm motions are good for a work break as well.

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
Pain in the neck is, well, a pain in the neck. And some two-thirds of us will suffer from it at some point, says orthopedic spine surgeon Samuel Cho, ...
What are the risks of spinal steroid injections for neck pain?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
One risk of spinal steroid injections for neck pain is injection into the vertebral artery that can ...
How is elastic therapeutic tape used to treat neck and shoulder pain?
Ms. Karena WuMs. Karena Wu
When elastic therapeutic tape is applied to the neck or shoulders, it can offer a stretch to the mus...
How Can Shoulder Problems Cause Neck Pain and Headaches?