What posture should I use to avoid pain when using my smartphone?

Sue Hitzmann
Fitness
The best posture to avoid neck pain when using your smart phone is to keep your head upright; bring your phone up to your face, instead of looking down at it. In this video, fitness expert Sue Hitzmann, MS/CST/NMT, demonstrates the proper posture.
Ergonomics and knowledge of body posture are important during all regular, repetitive or prolonged activities. Many people spend a lot of time on their smartphone, so body posture is important to consider during its use. It is best not to hold the phone wedged between your shoulder and your ear as this is likely to cause pain and spasm in the neck and shoulder. The best way to safely maintain body posture if you are talking on your phone often is to use earbuds or a wireless headset.

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

How to Undo Neck Pain
How to Undo Neck Pain
In this age of constant digital connection and late-night scrolling, you may be no stranger to neck pain. Beyond reducing your screen time, here's wha...
How can computer work cause neck pain and headaches?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Gravity is the biggest culprit at sedentary jobs that require a lot of computer work. Because the ar...
How can shoulder problems cause neck pain and headaches?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
What holds the shoulder in position is not joint compression, but muscle tone -- specifically th...
The Banana Stretch to Reduce Neck Pain
The Banana Stretch to Reduce Neck Pain