What posture should I use to avoid pain when using my smartphone?

Ergonomics and knowledge of body posture are important during all regular, repetitive or prolonged activities. Many people spend a lot of time on their smartphone, so body posture is important to consider during its use. It is best not to hold the phone wedged between your shoulder and your ear as this is likely to cause pain and spasm in the neck and shoulder. The best way to safely maintain body posture if you are talking on your phone often is to use earbuds or a wireless headset.
Sue Hitzmann
Fitness
The best posture to avoid neck pain when using your smart phone is to keep your head upright; bring your phone up to your face, instead of looking down at it. In this video, fitness expert Sue Hitzmann, MS/CST/NMT, demonstrates the proper posture.

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
Pain in the neck is, well, a pain in the neck. And some two-thirds of us will suffer from it at some point, says orthopedic spine surgeon Samuel Cho, ...
How can I prevent neck pain when I stay still for a long time?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
A common complaint relates to neck pain caused by prolonged positioning, most often from using t...
How can shoulder problems cause neck pain and headaches?
Ms. Karena WuMs. Karena Wu
Shoulder problems can cause neck pain and headaches because the shoulder and neck share the same mus...
How Is Elastic Therapeutic Tape Used to Treat Neck and Shoulder Pain?