What medications help treat neck pain?

Akash Bajaj, MD
Anesthesiology

Neck pain is one of the main symptoms of cervical disc disease, in which discs between vertebrae become herniated or deteriorate, sometimes pinching nerves.

Several different drugs, from pain relievers to anti-inflammatory drugs such as steroids, can help ease your neck pain while you heal. Depending on the extent of your neck pain and the type of cervical disc disease, you can either take medications alone or use them together with physical therapy or other treatments.

Pain medications: Your doctor may prescribe prescription strength medication that can manage your pain. Opioid analgesics are sometimes used briefly to treat acute neck pain. Muscle relaxants, tramadol (Ultram) or tricyclic antidepressant medications used for pain also may be prescribed. Nerve pain medications may also be helpful for mitigating these symptoms on a biochemical level. These typically are taken chronically and require a buildup period of 2-4 weeks

Injections of medication: Injections of medications may help relieve neck pain. Your doctor may inject corticosteroid medications near the nerve roots, into the small facet joints in the bones of the cervical spine, or into the muscles in your neck to help with pain. Numbing medications, such as lidocaine, also can be injected to relieve your neck pain.

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

iPad Tablet Linked to Shoulder and Neck Pain
You love your iPad tablet, don't you? With a screen larger than a smartphone yet smaller than a laptop, it's the perfect companion to check e-mail, wa...
Why is my neck very stiff if I have been experiencing shoulder pain?
Your neck and shoulders share muscles that control both joints. So it is not uncommon to have pain i...
How is elastic therapeutic tape used to treat neck and shoulder pain?
Ms. Karena WuMs. Karena Wu
When elastic therapeutic tape is applied to the neck or shoulders, it can offer a stretch to the mus...
How Can I Help Prevent Neck Pain?
How Can I Help Prevent Neck Pain?