What causes whiplash?

Whiplash is caused by your head snapping forward and then backward very quickly. This may injure the muscles or small ligaments in the neck.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Whiplash is caused by straining or overstretching the muscles or ligaments in the neck. There are many ways those muscles and ligaments can be injured. During a car accident your neck may be thrown forward by the impact of another car and then backward when your seatbelt catches you. Some cases of physical abuse (like punching or shaken baby syndrome) can overstretch the neck. Some contact sports (like football) sometimes also strain the neck.

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
Pain in the neck is, well, a pain in the neck. And some two-thirds of us will suffer from it at some point, says orthopedic spine surgeon Samuel Cho, ...
Are chiropractic neck adjustments safe?
Steven Shoshany, DCSteven Shoshany, DC
Chiropractic neck adjustments are very safe, especially considering pain management with prescriptio...
When should I talk to my doctor about neck pain?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
You should talk to your doctor about neck pain if your neck pain is: Getting worse Not going awa...
What Are Some Treatment Options for Neck Pain?