What causes a crick in the neck?

A crick in the neck involves spasm of one or more neck muscles. This spasm may happen because the muscle was strained. Spasms can also happen when the small joints in the spine are not moving correctly. Sometimes it is hard to tell if a strain or joint problem started the spasm.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
Pain in the neck is, well, a pain in the neck. And some two-thirds of us will suffer from it at some point, says orthopedic spine surgeon Samuel Cho, ...
What posture should I use to avoid pain when using my smartphone?
Sue HitzmannSue Hitzmann
The best posture to avoid neck pain when using your smart phone is to keep your head upright; bring ...
How can I correct forward-head posture to relieve neck pain and headaches?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Learning which behaviors trigger the head to move forward and either modifying those behaviors o...
Does Massage Help Treat Neck and Shoulder Pain?