What causes a crick in the neck?

A crick in the neck involves spasm of one or more neck muscles. This spasm may happen because the muscle was strained. Spasms can also happen when the small joints in the spine are not moving correctly. Sometimes it is hard to tell if a strain or joint problem started the spasm.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

How to Undo Neck Pain
How to Undo Neck Pain
In this age of computer keyboards and late-night Web surfing, you may be no stranger to neck pain. So here's what you do if you want it to get better:...
How can I correct forward-head posture to relieve neck pain and headaches?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Learning which behaviors trigger the head to move forward and either modifying those behaviors o...
How can I use cold therapy for neck pain?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Use ice or cold packs but never apply ice directly to your skin, or you might experience more th...
The Banana Stretch to Reduce Neck Pain
The Banana Stretch to Reduce Neck Pain