What causes chronic neck pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Most chronic pain is the result of years of poor movement habits -- habits that have taken on the guise of "natural" movement, even though these are actually unnatural and harmful habits (also called movement dysfunctions or movement faults). For instance, you will discover that many people who experience neck pain and headaches have a poorly functioning shoulder blade. When the shoulder blade's function is restored, most people think, "That can't be right," followed almost immediately by, "Wow, my neck feels so much better like this!"
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...
Steven Shoshany, DC
Chiropractic Medicine

Chronic neck pain can be overwhelming. In this video, chiropractor and pain management specialist Steven Shoshany talks about why it happens and how to fix it.

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
Pain in the neck is, well, a pain in the neck. And some two-thirds of us will suffer from it at some point, says orthopedic spine surgeon Samuel Cho, ...
What sleeping positions should I avoid if I have neck and back pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Sleeping on the stomach is a bad position for the neck because it is forced into severe rotation...
What causes neck pain?
Matthew F. McCarty, MDMatthew F. McCarty, MD
The most common cause of neck pain is muscular pain and spasm. This can be brought on through whipla...
Is Your iPad a Pain in the Neck?
Is Your iPad a Pain in the Neck?