What causes chronic neck pain?

Steven Shoshany, DC
Chiropractic Medicine

Chronic neck pain can be overwhelming. In this video, chiropractor and pain management specialist Steven Shoshany talks about why it happens and how to fix it.

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Most chronic pain is the result of years of poor movement habits -- habits that have taken on the guise of "natural" movement, even though these are actually unnatural and harmful habits (also called movement dysfunctions or movement faults). For instance, you will discover that many people who experience neck pain and headaches have a poorly functioning shoulder blade. When the shoulder blade's function is restored, most people think, "That can't be right," followed almost immediately by, "Wow, my neck feels so much better like this!"
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

How to Undo Neck Pain
How to Undo Neck Pain
In this age of computer keyboards and late-night Web surfing, you may be no stranger to neck pain. So here's what you do if you want it to get better:...
What can I do to stop my neck from hurting?
Matthew F. McCarty, MDMatthew F. McCarty, MD
Most neck pain will go away in days with rest, gentle stretching, NSAIDs or Tylenol for pain. Cold t...
How can I use cold therapy for neck pain?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Use ice or cold packs but never apply ice directly to your skin, or you might experience more th...
How Is Elastic Therapeutic Tape Used to Treat Neck and Shoulder Pain?