How are neck and shoulder pain treated?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy

Functionally these two areas are closely linked together. Their common denominator being the shoulder blade. Muscles connect the shoulder blade to the vertebrae of the neck and base of the skull. Muscles also connect the shoulder blade to the shoulder joint.

The shoulder system is a floating system on the trunk. Therefore precise movement is required to keep all the players happy. With most neck and shoulder patients, I begin by assessing and treating the shoulder blade and the factors that contribute to it's poor function.

Of course there are other issues such as the shape of the thoracic spine, the activities you are engaging in, head and neck movement patterns, and arm movement patterns.

Samuel K. Cho, MD
Orthopedic Surgery

Most neck pain can be successfully treated without surgery. The management goals of treating neck pain are to achieve maximal reduction in pain intensity as rapidly as possible; to restore the individual’s ability to function in daily activities; to help the patient cope with residual pain; and to assess for side-effects of therapy.

Some of the non-operative treatments include aerobic exercise, physical therapy, various modalities (heat/cold treatments, massage therapy, and traction among others), neck brace, as well as the use of medications, such as muscle relaxants, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, Tylenol, or a short course of steroids. Epidural steroid injection or nerve root blocks may be recommended in select cases.

Surgery is the last resort in the treatment of neck pain. Surgery is recommended only when there is an identifiable source of pain that is both debilitating in nature and causing nerve irritation or damage.

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
Pain in the neck is, well, a pain in the neck. And some two-thirds of us will suffer from it at some point, says orthopedic spine surgeon Samuel Cho, ...
When should I talk to my doctor about neck pain?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
You should talk to your doctor about neck pain if your neck pain is: Getting worse Not going awa...
How is elastic therapeutic tape used to treat neck and shoulder pain?
Ms. Karena WuMs. Karena Wu
When elastic therapeutic tape is applied to the neck or shoulders, it can offer a stretch to the mus...
How Can I Help Prevent Neck Pain?
How Can I Help Prevent Neck Pain?