How can depressed shoulders cause neck pain and headaches?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
The most common problem with shoulder blades is that they sit too low on the trunk. This is referred to as having depressed shoulders, which includes a cluster of other problems that cause neck pain and headaches.

Chances are that if a shoulder is sitting too low in a resting position, it will not elevate properly during overhead motions. This places strain on the neck because our friend, the levator scapula (one of the muscles that hold the shoulder in position), is left to do more than its fair share of the work and transmits this stress to the cervical vertebrae (the bones in the neck).
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

iPad Tablet Linked to Shoulder and Neck Pain
You love your iPad tablet, don't you? With a screen larger than a smartphone yet smaller than a laptop, it's the perfect companion to check e-mail, wa...
What causes chronic neck pain?
Steven Shoshany, DCSteven Shoshany, DC
Chronic neck pain can be overwhelming. In this video, chiropractor and pain management specialist St...
How can computer work cause neck pain and headaches?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Gravity is the biggest culprit at sedentary jobs that require a lot of computer work. Because the ar...
I Wake up Each Morning with a Stiff Neck; What Can I Do?