How can computer work cause neck pain and headaches?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Gravity is the biggest culprit at sedentary jobs that require a lot of computer work. Because the arms are rarely elevated, gravity gradually pulls down the shoulder blades, causing tension at the levator scapula muscle (one of the muscles that hold the shoulder in position). This will manifest as neck pain or headaches, and it could produce excessive stresses at the vertebrae themselves, resulting in structural diagnoses such as disk bulges, degenerated disks, and so on.
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

How to Undo Neck Pain
How to Undo Neck Pain
In this age of computer keyboards and late-night Web surfing, you may be no stranger to neck pain. So here's what you do if you want it to get better:...
What position should I sleep in if I have neck and back pain?
Dr. Gerald M. SilvermanDr. Gerald M. Silverman
One major complaint is from patients who frequently wake up in the morning with neck or lower back p...
How can I prevent neck pain when I stay still for a long time?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
A common complaint relates to neck pain caused by prolonged positioning, most often from using t...
Is Your iPad a Pain in the Neck?
Is Your iPad a Pain in the Neck?