How can I use cold therapy for neck pain?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
Use ice or cold packs but never apply ice directly to your skin, or you might experience more than neck pain! You might also try a local spray such as fluromethane (nonflammable) on your neck or another painful area before and after exercise. This superficial cooling decreases muscle spasms and increases the pain threshold. Some patients prefer cold therapy to moist heat for acute pain, while others tell of having the best relief when they alternate the sessions with moist heat and ice. I suggest that you choose the method of moist heat and ice packs that gives the best relief with the least trouble or expense. (Again, always use caution to avoid damage to your skin with hot and cold therapies.)
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

How to Undo Neck Pain
How to Undo Neck Pain
In this age of computer keyboards and late-night Web surfing, you may be no stranger to neck pain. So here's what you do if you want it to get better:...
How can I help prevent neck pain?
Ms. Karena WuMs. Karena Wu
To prevent neck pain, you need to stretch and strengthen around the neck and shoulder joints. In thi...
What can cause neck pain and headaches in women?
HCA Midwest HealthHCA Midwest Health
Neck pain and headaches in women have numerous causes. Some of the most common causes include migrai...
The Banana Stretch to Reduce Neck Pain
The Banana Stretch to Reduce Neck Pain