How can I use cold therapy for neck pain?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
Use ice or cold packs but never apply ice directly to your skin, or you might experience more than neck pain! You might also try a local spray such as fluromethane (nonflammable) on your neck or another painful area before and after exercise. This superficial cooling decreases muscle spasms and increases the pain threshold. Some patients prefer cold therapy to moist heat for acute pain, while others tell of having the best relief when they alternate the sessions with moist heat and ice. I suggest that you choose the method of moist heat and ice packs that gives the best relief with the least trouble or expense. (Again, always use caution to avoid damage to your skin with hot and cold therapies.)
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

Continue Learning about Neck Pain

3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
3 Tricks for Ending Neck Pain
Pain in the neck is, well, a pain in the neck. And some two-thirds of us will suffer from it at some point, says orthopedic spine surgeon Samuel Cho, ...
How are neck and back pain treated?
Akash Bajaj, MDAkash Bajaj, MD
Neck and Back Pain are treated depending on the underlying pain generator. Most commonly, this may b...
What position should I sleep in if I have neck and back pain?
TriStar Summit Medical CenterTriStar Summit Medical Center
There is no one position that will be best for those will back pain. Some people with back problems ...
What Causes Chronic Neck Pain?
What Causes Chronic Neck Pain?