Why is any neck injury considered serious?

The neck contains many bones, nerves, and ligaments. These protect the spinal cord and help the neck and upper body move. Injuries to these structures may cause lasting injury or death if they are not recognized and treated correctly right away.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

What is torticollis (wryneck)?
Torticollis, also called wryneck, is a condition that causes short, tight neck muscles. Shortened ne...
Should I talk to my doctor about my whiplash symptoms?
If you have a mild case of whiplash that goes away within a few days, you probably do not need to ta...
What are the symptoms of a stinger injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Common symptoms of a stinger include burning, numbness, tingling, loss of the sense of touch, an...
If I suffer a neck injury during sports, am I likely to get injured again?
You may be more likely to hurt your neck again if you go back to play too soon. If poor playing ...