Where does the neck usually break?

The fifth bone is the most commonly broken vertebra. Injuries to the first through fifth bones in the neck are most likely to paralyze a patient or cause death.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

What are the symptoms of whiplash?
Whiplash has several symptoms that may develop shortly after an injury. Neck pain is common and may ...
Why is any neck injury considered serious?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The neck contains many bones, nerves, and ligaments. These protect the spinal cord and help the ...
How do I manage my whiplash on a daily basis?
Whiplash, like other neck pain, is usually caused by straining the muscles or ligaments in the neck....
What are the most severe types of neck injuries?
Injuries to the spinal cord or bones of the neck are the most severe. These injuries may cause s...