What are the symptoms of a stinger injury?

Common symptoms of a stinger include burning, numbness, tingling, loss of the sense of touch, and weakness in the shoulder, arm, and hand. Symptoms may persist or get worse if the injury is not recognized and treated correctly. Permanent nerve damage may occur if the athlete continues to play when he has these symptoms.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

How should I treat a neck sprain?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A patient with a neck sprain should rest, apply ice, and stay away from activities that cause pa...
How do I manage my whiplash on a daily basis?
Whiplash, like other neck pain, is usually caused by straining the muscles or ligaments in the neck....
If a person is unconscious, does that mean he has a neck injury?
Head and neck injuries are always assumed if a patient is unconscious. When this happens, the fi...
What can I do to help prevent neck injuries in football?
Collars can be added to shoulder pads to help prevent neck injuries, but they only decrease one ...