What can I do to help prevent neck injuries in football?

Collars can be added to shoulder pads to help prevent neck injuries, but they only decrease one motion. Tackling with good technique is the best way to prevent neck injury in football.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

Does poor posture increase the risk for neck injuries?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Poor posture may increase the risk of neck injury. Bad posture can cause some muscles to get sho...
What increases my risk for whiplash?
Certain activities and events are more likely to strain your neck muscles and ligaments, which can r...
How is whiplash diagnosed?
To diagnose whiplash, your doctor will likely ask you how your neck was injured. The doctor may meas...
What is torticollis (wryneck)?
Torticollis, also called wryneck, is a condition that causes short, tight neck muscles. Shortened ne...