What are the most severe types of neck injuries?

Injuries to the spinal cord or bones of the neck are the most severe. These injuries may cause serious injury or death if they are not recognized and treated correctly right away.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

What are some restrictions for an athlete after a serious neck injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If a doctor has cleared the athlete to play, there may not be any restrictions. In football, a s...
What is torticollis (wryneck)?
Torticollis, also called wryneck, is a condition that causes short, tight neck muscles. Shortened ne...
What are the treatment options for whiplash?
Over-the-counter pain medication, like acetaminophen, can usually relieve whiplash pain. Ice, heat, ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my whiplash symptoms?
If you have a mild case of whiplash that goes away within a few days, you probably do not need to ta...