What increases my risk for whiplash?

Certain activities and events are more likely to strain your neck muscles and ligaments, which can result in whiplash. Activities like contact sports and events like rear-end auto collisions can increase your risk for whiplash. Additionally, women are more likely than men to have whiplash. This may be because men often have stronger neck muscles than women.

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

What should I do if I think a person has a neck injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The first step is to stabilize the neck by holding the head on either side. At the same time, an...
Should I talk to my doctor about my whiplash symptoms?
If you have a mild case of whiplash that goes away within a few days, you probably do not need to ta...
How is whiplash treated?
Treatment for whiplash includes rest and ice. Once the pain has subsided, exercises can improve neck...
How do medications treat whiplash?
Over-the-counter medication like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) relieve pain that is ...