What should I do if I think a person has a neck injury?

The first step is to stabilize the neck by holding the head on either side. At the same time, another person should call 911. The neck must be stabilized until the patient is placed on a spine board with straps holding his body and head on the board. The goal is to move the head, neck, and body as little as possible while providing care.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

What are the treatment options for whiplash?
Over-the-counter pain medication, like acetaminophen, can usually relieve whiplash pain. Ice, heat, ...
What are the symptoms of whiplash?
Whiplash has several symptoms that may develop shortly after an injury. Neck pain is common and may ...
How is whiplash treated?
Riverside Emergency and Trauma CenterRiverside Emergency and Trauma Center
Treatment for individuals with whiplash may include pain medications, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory...
If a person is unconscious, does that mean he has a neck injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Head and neck injuries are always assumed if a patient is unconscious. When this happens, the fi...