What should I do if I think a person has a neck injury?

The first step is to stabilize the neck by holding the head on either side. At the same time, another person should call 911. The neck must be stabilized until the patient is placed on a spine board with straps holding his body and head on the board. The goal is to move the head, neck, and body as little as possible while providing care.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

How does whiplash affect the body?
Pam HaysPam Hays
Whiplash injuries may also be accompanied by injuries to the brain.  The acceleration and deaccelera...
If I suffer a neck injury during sports, am I likely to get injured again?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
You may be more likely to hurt your neck again if you go back to play too soon. If poor playing ...
What is whiplash?
Riverside Emergency and Trauma CenterRiverside Emergency and Trauma Center
Whiplash-a soft tissue injury to the neck-is also called neck sprain or neck strain. It is character...
What should I do if I think I might have whiplash?
It is a good idea to see a doctor if you believe you have a whiplash injury. The doctor can carefull...