What should I do if I think I might have whiplash?

It is a good idea to see a doctor if you believe you have a whiplash injury. The doctor can carefully check all of the bones, nerves, ligaments, and muscles in your neck.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

In which sports do the most serious neck injuries occur?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Serious neck injuries are more likely in football, wrestling, and gymnastics. Diving into water ...
What is torticollis (wryneck)?
Torticollis, also called wryneck, is a condition that causes short, tight neck muscles. Shortened ne...
Where does the neck usually break?
The fifth bone is the most commonly broken vertebra. Injuries to the first through fifth bones i...
If I suffer a neck injury during sports, am I likely to get injured again?
You may be more likely to hurt your neck again if you go back to play too soon. If poor playing ...