What should I do if I think I might have whiplash?

It is a good idea to see a doctor if you believe you have a whiplash injury. The doctor can carefully check all of the bones, nerves, ligaments, and muscles in your neck.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

What is torticollis (wryneck)?
Torticollis, also called wryneck, is a condition that causes short, tight neck muscles. Shortened ne...
What can I do to help prevent neck injuries in football?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Collars can be added to shoulder pads to help prevent neck injuries, but they only decrease one ...
Are all neck injuries serious?
Not all neck injuries end up being serious. However, all neck injuries should be treated as if t...
Can whiplash be prevented?
Whiplash is often caused by unexpected stretching of the neck muscles and ligaments. While it is sim...