Should I remove a football player's equipment if he may have a neck injury?

Only the face mask should be removed when a football player is thought to have a neck injury. Taking off the helmet and shoulder pads may cause a lot of motion. Getting the facemask out of the way makes it possible to help the patient breathe. If the whole helmet is removed because it's not well-fitted, then the shoulder pads must also be taken off so that the head and neck are in line with the rest of the body.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

When can a player return to play after suffering a stinger injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A player must be symptom-free before returning to play after a stinger injury. All sensations of...
If I suffer a neck injury during sports, am I likely to get injured again?
You may be more likely to hurt your neck again if you go back to play too soon. If poor playing ...
Why is any neck injury considered serious?
The neck contains many bones, nerves, and ligaments. These protect the spinal cord and help the ...
What are the chances of recovery from whiplash?
Generally, chances of recovery for individuals with whiplash are good. The neck and head pain clears...