Should I remove a football player's equipment if he may have a neck injury?

Only the face mask should be removed when a football player is thought to have a neck injury. Taking off the helmet and shoulder pads may cause a lot of motion. Getting the facemask out of the way makes it possible to help the patient breathe. If the whole helmet is removed because it's not well-fitted, then the shoulder pads must also be taken off so that the head and neck are in line with the rest of the body.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

What are the symptoms of whiplash?
Whiplash has several symptoms that may develop shortly after an injury. Neck pain is common and may ...
What are some restrictions for an athlete after a serious neck injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If a doctor has cleared the athlete to play, there may not be any restrictions. In football, a s...
What is the best way to brace a neck injury?
The best way to brace a neck injury that just happened is to stabilize it by holding either side...
What should I do if I think I might have whiplash?
It is a good idea to see a doctor if you believe you have a whiplash injury. The doctor can carefull...