Should I remove a football player's equipment if he may have a neck injury?

Only the face mask should be removed when a football player is thought to have a neck injury. Taking off the helmet and shoulder pads may cause a lot of motion. Getting the facemask out of the way makes it possible to help the patient breathe. If the whole helmet is removed because it's not well-fitted, then the shoulder pads must also be taken off so that the head and neck are in line with the rest of the body.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

What can I do to help prevent neck injuries in football?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Collars can be added to shoulder pads to help prevent neck injuries, but they only decrease one ...
What should I do if I think I might have whiplash?
It is a good idea to see a doctor if you believe you have a whiplash injury. The doctor can carefull...
Should I talk to my doctor about my whiplash symptoms?
If you have a mild case of whiplash that goes away within a few days, you probably do not need to ta...
What is whiplash?
Riverside Emergency and Trauma CenterRiverside Emergency and Trauma Center
Whiplash-a soft tissue injury to the neck-is also called neck sprain or neck strain. It is character...