If I suffer a neck injury during sports, am I likely to get injured again?

You may be more likely to hurt your neck again if you go back to play too soon. If poor playing methods helped cause the first injury and they are not corrected, another injury is more likely.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

What are the treatment options for whiplash?
Over-the-counter pain medication, like acetaminophen, can usually relieve whiplash pain. Ice, heat, ...
What are common causes of whiplash?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The most common cause of whiplash is a car accident. In sports, whiplash can happen during blind-sid...
What are some restrictions for an athlete after a serious neck injury?
If a doctor has cleared the athlete to play, there may not be any restrictions. In football, a s...
Can whiplash be prevented?
Whiplash is often caused by unexpected stretching of the neck muscles and ligaments. While it is sim...