In which sports do the most serious neck injuries occur?

Serious neck injuries are more likely in football, wrestling, and gymnastics. Diving into water that is not deep enough and landing wrong on a trampoline can also cause serious neck injury.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

If I suffer a neck injury during sports, am I likely to get injured again?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
You may be more likely to hurt your neck again if you go back to play too soon. If poor playing ...
What are some restrictions for an athlete after a serious neck injury?
If a doctor has cleared the athlete to play, there may not be any restrictions. In football, a s...
Should I talk to my doctor about my whiplash symptoms?
If you have a mild case of whiplash that goes away within a few days, you probably do not need to ta...
What are the treatment options for whiplash?
Over-the-counter pain medication, like acetaminophen, can usually relieve whiplash pain. Ice, heat, ...