How should I treat a neck sprain?

A patient with a neck sprain should rest, apply ice, and stay away from activities that cause pain. When pain is better, exercises can increase neck motion in all directions.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

How is whiplash diagnosed?
To diagnose whiplash, your doctor will likely ask you how your neck was injured. The doctor may meas...
What should I do if I think I might have whiplash?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
It is a good idea to see a doctor if you believe you have a whiplash injury. The doctor can carefull...
What are the chances of recovery from whiplash?
Generally, chances of recovery for individuals with whiplash are good. The neck and head pain clears...
What can I do to help prevent neck injuries in football?
Collars can be added to shoulder pads to help prevent neck injuries, but they only decrease one ...