How is whiplash treated?

Treatment for whiplash includes rest and ice. Once the pain has subsided, exercises can improve neck motion in all directions.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Treatment for individuals with whiplash may include pain medications, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antidepressants, muscle relaxants, and a cervical collar (usually worn for two to three weeks). A range of motion exercises, physical therapy, and cervical traction may also be prescribed. Supplemental heat application may relieve muscle tension.

This answer is based on source information from National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

What are some restrictions for an athlete after a serious neck injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If a doctor has cleared the athlete to play, there may not be any restrictions. In football, a s...
What are the most severe types of neck injuries?
Injuries to the spinal cord or bones of the neck are the most severe. These injuries may cause s...
What should I do if I think a person has a neck injury?
The first step is to stabilize the neck by holding the head on either side. At the same time, an...
Should I talk to my doctor about my whiplash symptoms?
If you have a mild case of whiplash that goes away within a few days, you probably do not need to ta...