How is whiplash diagnosed?

To diagnose whiplash, your doctor will likely ask you how your neck was injured. The doctor may measure how far you can move your neck, and different parts of your neck will be checked to see where you are most tender. Neck pain can also be a sign of other problems (like injuries to the spinal cord or nerve roots in the spinal column), so your doctor may order additional tests to make sure your spine is okay. Some of these tests could include x-rays, computerized tomography (CT scan), and possibly magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

How is whiplash treated?
Riverside Emergency and Trauma CenterRiverside Emergency and Trauma Center
Treatment for individuals with whiplash may include pain medications, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory...
Where does the neck usually break?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The fifth bone is the most commonly broken vertebra. Injuries to the first through fifth bones i...
In which sports do the most serious neck injuries occur?
Serious neck injuries are more likely in football, wrestling, and gymnastics. Diving into water ...
If I suffer a neck injury during sports, am I likely to get injured again?
You may be more likely to hurt your neck again if you go back to play too soon. If poor playing ...