How is whiplash diagnosed?

To diagnose whiplash, your doctor will likely ask you how your neck was injured. The doctor may measure how far you can move your neck, and different parts of your neck will be checked to see where you are most tender. Neck pain can also be a sign of other problems (like injuries to the spinal cord or nerve roots in the spinal column), so your doctor may order additional tests to make sure your spine is okay. Some of these tests could include x-rays, computerized tomography (CT scan), and possibly magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

Are all neck injuries serious?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Not all neck injuries end up being serious. However, all neck injuries should be treated as if t...
If I suffer a neck injury during sports, am I likely to get injured again?
You may be more likely to hurt your neck again if you go back to play too soon. If poor playing ...
How much force would it take to break the neck?
The amount of force needed to break a neck bone is different from person to person. It also depe...
What are the most severe types of neck injuries?
Injuries to the spinal cord or bones of the neck are the most severe. These injuries may cause s...