How do medications treat whiplash?

Over-the-counter medication like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) relieve pain that is caused by inflammation. Prescription painkillers have different mechanisms for treating whiplash. Sometimes a doctor will inject lidocaine into particularly painful spots, which numbs the pain where it is injected. A doctor may also prescribe muscle relaxants, which slow or stop muscle spasms that can cause pain.

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

When can a player return to play after suffering a stinger injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A player must be symptom-free before returning to play after a stinger injury. All sensations of...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with whiplash?
You should be aware that whiplash is an injury to the neck and the person you are caring for will li...
What are the treatment options for whiplash?
Over-the-counter pain medication, like acetaminophen, can usually relieve whiplash pain. Ice, heat, ...
What increases my risk for whiplash?
Certain activities and events are more likely to strain your neck muscles and ligaments, which can r...