Does poor posture increase the risk for neck injuries?

Poor posture may increase the risk of neck injury. Bad posture can cause some muscles to get shorter and weaker. It can also stretch and weaken other muscles. This changes the balance in the muscles, which increases the chance of injury.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

If I suffer a neck injury during sports, am I likely to get injured again?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
You may be more likely to hurt your neck again if you go back to play too soon. If poor playing ...
What is whiplash?
Riverside Emergency and Trauma CenterRiverside Emergency and Trauma Center
Whiplash-a soft tissue injury to the neck-is also called neck sprain or neck strain. It is character...
Should I talk to my doctor about my whiplash symptoms?
If you have a mild case of whiplash that goes away within a few days, you probably do not need to ta...
How should I treat a neck sprain?
A patient with a neck sprain should rest, apply ice, and stay away from activities that cause pa...