Does poor posture increase the risk for neck injuries?

Poor posture may increase the risk of neck injury. Bad posture can cause some muscles to get shorter and weaker. It can also stretch and weaken other muscles. This changes the balance in the muscles, which increases the chance of injury.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

If I suffer a neck injury during sports, am I likely to get injured again?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
You may be more likely to hurt your neck again if you go back to play too soon. If poor playing ...
What is the best way to brace a neck injury?
The best way to brace a neck injury that just happened is to stabilize it by holding either side...
How is whiplash diagnosed?
To diagnose whiplash, your doctor will likely ask you how your neck was injured. The doctor may meas...
Can neck injuries cause problems with breathing?
The patient may have trouble breathing if the neck injury is at the first through fifth vertebra...